Friday, July 28, 2017

New Gear: Saucony Triumph ISO 2

New Long Run Lemon Saucony Triumph ISO 2

Just a quick, short entry to note that I am running in some new shoes. As I started to get into my current 10K training plan, I happened to notice one night after finishing a run that the mid-sole on the pair of Mizunos I was wearing were showing where they shouldn't be. I checked all four pairs of Mizunos that I have in my rotation and discovered that all of the Mizuno Wave Enigmas had suffered a similar fate due to the outsole wearing out in the heel area. Only the Wave Riders (the newest of the batch) were still ok, though they are showing significant wear. So, time for some new shoes.


After looking around a bit, I decided I would try something other than the Mizunos I normally get. At least part of this was due to budget and part due to fashion. Normally I buy a previous year model to take advantage of the heavy discounts. The current Mizuno I would normally get would be the Wave Sky, the replacement for the Wave Enigma, but they currently run $150 a pair. I like the Wave Riders, but realize I enjoy the additional cushioning available in the Enigmas even though I have lost a lot of weight and may not need all that cushioning. Nevertheless, I've never been impressed with the colors that Mizuno makes available for men's running shoes and with stock levels running low, I was faced with buying a color I already have.

The outsole is wearing out on my Mizunos. This is the worst of the three Wave Enigmas. This pair has made it through a bunch of training and three marathons!

Decided to look around at what other options might be available. Although I really like Mizuno and have a full stable of them, they are not the only shoes that work for me. Adidas shoes work as well - I only find them to be not as durable, lasting about half the miles that the Mizunos make.

After reading reviews, I decided to give Saucony a try, specifically their Triumph line. These are neutral with high cushioning. Plus, I found a special on the Triumph ISO 2 (they are currently on ISO 3) in an awesome Long Run Lemon color. Ordered!

My Blueberry Mizunos and Lemon Sauconys

Another comparison shot of Wave Enigma vs Triumph ISO 2

And a final comparison shot

I've had them a little over a week now and thus far they seem to be pretty good shoes. Not surprisingly, it took a couple runs to get the lacing adjusted right. The first couple nights they felt really loose in the heel, but that sensation has gone away now. I did notice last night that I can already see some significant wear in the heel areas so it will be interesting to see how long these last. I have about 60 miles on them and hope they can make at least 400 miles. That is my normal target, but the Mizunos are all currently around the 600-mile mark.

I am hoping these will at least carry me through the 10K at the end of August. I will then have to look at buying 2-3 new pairs to get me through the next marathon training plan during the fall.

That's a big turtle!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment